Skip to main content

Transport Fever 3 Giveaway

To celebrate the release of  Transport Fever 3  I am giving away a PC key for the Deluxe Edition of the game on any of the main platforms - Steam, Epic, or GOG! Terms and Conditions General The Ajaxpost Plays Transport Fever 3 Giveaway ( the Giveaway ) is a lottery run exclusively by the Ajaxpost Plays YouTube Channel ( Ajaxpost Plays ) All the terms described here are in addition to the standard terms and conditions applied by Gleam.io and YouTube for all giveaways run on their platform. YouTube, Bluesky, Instagram, Twitter, X, and any other platforms used to advertise or promote the Giveaway do not sponsor the Giveaway and are in no way responsible or liable for any aspect of the operation of the Giveaway There will ONE winner who shall be gifted ONE key for Transport Fever 3 Deluxe Edition on the PC platform of their choice: The winning Entrant must have an eligible account on their preferred platform, Steam, Epic, or GOG with which to rece...

On This Day: 17th April

Well, having taken a rest on 16th April from theatre-going for the last few years, I resume normal service on this day ... but while preparing this day's post I realise something very spooky! On this same day, nine years apart,the two plays I saw were both written by Laura Wade! 😮

So what were they?

in 2010

This was actually the first production of Laura Wade's Posh, at the Royal Court, London. Very much an "actors theatre" the Royal Court has seen some of the best talent on it's stages, including many at the start of glittering careers.

What we didn't know then was that handsome fellow about town Kit Harrington, in what I think was only his second professional stage role, was already prepping Jon Snow in Game of Thrones! In fact, looking at the cast list now, there are quite a few names that are now frequently seen on TV, Stage, and film.

A very British play about the foul underbelly of privilege at the heart of our politics then (and to a large extent still today) shows very dramatically the contempt that those with wealth and position have for  ordinary 'oiks' and their assumption that they have the absolute right to do exactly as they please, and the rest of us should be grateful.

As such not exactly a pleasant experience, and you can leave the theatre feeling rather "soiled", but  it is, nonetheless, a pertinent comment on the obscenity of a class system.


in 2019

At the Theatre Royal Bath to see Home, I'm Darling, apparently Laura Wade's first new play since Posh.

Much less overtly political this one takes the style of sitcom to lull you into a sense of old-fashioned comfort before pulling the rug out from under you as it reveals the emotional turmoil at the heart of this main character's apparently idyllic life as the "perfect housewife".

To paraphrase a key line in the play "The past didn’t look like this even back then! Those days were terrible. The idea that anyone would want to go back there is ridiculous." But, still, there are people who hanker for the seeming safety of the 'good old days'.

At first glance a charming witty little comedy but it neatly unravels to take you somewhere you didn't expect.  Although ... if I'd realised when I booked that it was written by the creator of Posh, I might well have been more prepared! 😄


Postscript

A final little note on the Laura Wade connections ... in September 2019 (and I hope I'm not still doing these Before The Lockdown posts in September!) a saw a new production of Posh, also at the Theatre Royal Bath, with another fine cast of future stars.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Car Mechanic Simulator 2021: Audi TT Mk1 Rebuild

  Barn Find I've suspended my CMS21 series for the time being, it may return for occasional one-off specials or if enough viewers demand it! So, while I'm still playing and enjoying the game I thought I would continue to share some of my favourite jobs with you, at least in pictorial form. Thus first one is an Audi TT Mk1 that I found in a barn. The vehicle is a mod created by Bostonawy and includes some wonderful livery choices, as you'll see at the end of this post. So, this is the car I brought back to my Numpty The Car Fixer garage:   As you can see it's in pretty good condition, well, apart from the mechanicals!  For such a quality brand, and at less than £14,000, I was happy to take away this sporty little number as a restoration project. Apart from the accumulated dirt and dust, the body was generally in good shape. For this job, I didn't go overboard on performance, just some tweaking of the ignition and fuel systems but I made sure that some key compone...

Ajaxpost Plays August 2020 Giveaway

Completed! This draw has now been completed and the winners announced: Thank you to everyone who took part! Terms and Conditions General The Ajaxpost Plays August 2020 Giveaway ( the Giveaway ) is a lottery run exclusively by the Ajaxpost Plays YouTube Channel ( Ajaxpost Plays ) YouTube, Twitter, Instagram and any other platforms used to advertise or promote the Giveaway do not sponsor the Giveaway and are in no way responsible or liable for any aspect of the operation of the Giveaway TWO winners may each select ONE of FIVE rewards made available for the Giveaway : The first drawn winner will have the option to choose any ONE of the five rewards The second drawn winner will have the option to choose any ONE of the remaining four rewards Prizes are not exchangeable for any other cash or non-cash benefit If a selected winner does not claim their reward within five days of the result being announced ...

A Retrospective on March

This post was going to be mostly a summary of the activity on my YouTube channel in March but I thought I really should address the COVID-19 coronavirus situation and, umm,  got a bit carried away!  You can avoid my ranting about what has happened by scrolling down to the next headline. 😉  The 'Situation' It took a while for us here in the UK to realise but March was the month that everything changed ! After two weeks of 'lockdown' we're becoming accustomed to a new way of life, isolated in our own homes, either alone or with immediate family we are effectively confined within our homes. Unable to physically meet anyone we don't live with, unable to enjoy of the pleasures that come with socialising with our various communities. And then there is the 'knock-on' impact that has on the economy, the businesses, the organisations and institutions that have become an integral part of our way of life. Our governments may try to protect the bedrock comp...