Skip to main content

Transport Fever 3 Giveaway

To celebrate the release of  Transport Fever 3  I am giving away a PC key for the Deluxe Edition of the game on any of the main platforms - Steam, Epic, or GOG! Terms and Conditions General The Ajaxpost Plays Transport Fever 3 Giveaway ( the Giveaway ) is a lottery run exclusively by the Ajaxpost Plays YouTube Channel ( Ajaxpost Plays ) All the terms described here are in addition to the standard terms and conditions applied by Gleam.io and YouTube for all giveaways run on their platform. YouTube, Bluesky, Instagram, Twitter, X, and any other platforms used to advertise or promote the Giveaway do not sponsor the Giveaway and are in no way responsible or liable for any aspect of the operation of the Giveaway There will ONE winner who shall be gifted ONE key for Transport Fever 3 Deluxe Edition on the PC platform of their choice: The winning Entrant must have an eligible account on their preferred platform, Steam, Epic, or GOG with which to rece...

On This Day: 18th April

On some days it appears that I just don't go to the theatre, but on others like today, the 18th of April, it's one of thoss lucky days!

So, once again Before The Lockdown on this day ...

in 2016

What I really love about theatre is the telling of a story, hearing someone's own tale and being given an insight into someone else's life in a way that might also shine a light on my own life, on something I hadn't previously realised.

Now, I'm not sure what I could personally take from Forever Yours, Mary-Lou (or À toi, pour toujours, ta Marie-Lou in the original French) at the Ustinov Studio in Bath, but it was story-telling at it's very best. Stripped down to basically just four chairs and judicious lighting this tale of a working class family (now in Dublin, rather than the original Montreal) argued, challenged, consoled each other as they, and we the audience, try to understand the horrific trauma that ripped each of them apart in such different ways.

Without the distraction of a fancy set or effects we focused entirely on what these four characters were saying and the impact it had on the others. Sometimes, the best theatre is just people talking and this the case here as we went through the twists and turns of uncovering the truth of what had happened some ten years ago to break this family apart.

in 2018

Over the last few years I have been seeing quite a bit of 'amateur' theatre. I am blessed in that locally I have the Bristol Old Vic with it's world renowned Theatre School, as well as it's local engagement schemes such as the BOV Young Company and Made In Bristol. In Bath there is the Bath Spa University Theatre School and the, if you will, properly 'amateur' Next Stage Theatre Company, and Next Stage Youth.

Whether aspiring professional creatives or just local people with a keen interest in theatre they all produce work of a very high standard.

One such, on this day, was Proof by Next Stage at the Mission Theatre in Bath. It's another tale of a somewhat dysfunctional family. This time dealing with issues of achieving greatness but finding it difficult to replicate and also of repressed and thwarted ambitions. All being brought into focus by the arrival of an eager assistant who inadvertently releases the tightly wound tensions that have built up over many years.

I had seen a professional production of this play five years earlier at the Theatre Royal Bath and recall having quite enjoyed it but this amateur production, set in a much smaller and more intimate space, seemed to make the emotional turmoil at the heart of the story even more compelling.

in 2019

Oh boy! I don't think I had ever previously indulged in interval Tweeting but seeing this one on my own I just had to say something to someone! As I recall it was quite a simple tweet ... "Holy crap, this is extraordinary!"

I had seen Equus twice before* but this new touring production I saw at the Bristol Old Vic had completely reworked the staging and created a simply magnificent work. The previous productions kept faithfully to the writer's original simple design and used some intricate and quite impressive puppetry work to create the horses that are central to the story. But even it had become something of a modern classic and, to me, it felt more of vehicle to demonstrate the actors ability to tell a difficult and at time horrifying story.

This new version stripped the staging back to just the simplest of props, dramatic lighting and sound effects while the horses were represented 'just' by the actors themselves using only their bodies and movement to represent the power, muscularity, and sensuality of the beasts.

With two incredible, but relatively unknown, actors in the lead roles of the troubled young man and his psychiatrist the story was given a new life. No longer a fairly staid talky work with a couple of  dramatic set pieces this new Equus had power, energy, movement, real passion and real despair. It's difficult to describe in mere words but  I was left, speechless, breathless, and exhilarated.

As I said at the time, a quite extraordinary theatrical experience!



* First in 2007 with Daniel Radcliffe and Richard Griffiths, and then again in 2008 with Alfie Allen and Simon Callow in the lead roles.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Car Mechanic Simulator 2021: Audi TT Mk1 Rebuild

  Barn Find I've suspended my CMS21 series for the time being, it may return for occasional one-off specials or if enough viewers demand it! So, while I'm still playing and enjoying the game I thought I would continue to share some of my favourite jobs with you, at least in pictorial form. Thus first one is an Audi TT Mk1 that I found in a barn. The vehicle is a mod created by Bostonawy and includes some wonderful livery choices, as you'll see at the end of this post. So, this is the car I brought back to my Numpty The Car Fixer garage:   As you can see it's in pretty good condition, well, apart from the mechanicals!  For such a quality brand, and at less than £14,000, I was happy to take away this sporty little number as a restoration project. Apart from the accumulated dirt and dust, the body was generally in good shape. For this job, I didn't go overboard on performance, just some tweaking of the ignition and fuel systems but I made sure that some key compone...

Ajaxpost Plays August 2020 Giveaway

Completed! This draw has now been completed and the winners announced: Thank you to everyone who took part! Terms and Conditions General The Ajaxpost Plays August 2020 Giveaway ( the Giveaway ) is a lottery run exclusively by the Ajaxpost Plays YouTube Channel ( Ajaxpost Plays ) YouTube, Twitter, Instagram and any other platforms used to advertise or promote the Giveaway do not sponsor the Giveaway and are in no way responsible or liable for any aspect of the operation of the Giveaway TWO winners may each select ONE of FIVE rewards made available for the Giveaway : The first drawn winner will have the option to choose any ONE of the five rewards The second drawn winner will have the option to choose any ONE of the remaining four rewards Prizes are not exchangeable for any other cash or non-cash benefit If a selected winner does not claim their reward within five days of the result being announced ...

A Retrospective on March

This post was going to be mostly a summary of the activity on my YouTube channel in March but I thought I really should address the COVID-19 coronavirus situation and, umm,  got a bit carried away!  You can avoid my ranting about what has happened by scrolling down to the next headline. 😉  The 'Situation' It took a while for us here in the UK to realise but March was the month that everything changed ! After two weeks of 'lockdown' we're becoming accustomed to a new way of life, isolated in our own homes, either alone or with immediate family we are effectively confined within our homes. Unable to physically meet anyone we don't live with, unable to enjoy of the pleasures that come with socialising with our various communities. And then there is the 'knock-on' impact that has on the economy, the businesses, the organisations and institutions that have become an integral part of our way of life. Our governments may try to protect the bedrock comp...